Category Archives: History in Kruger Park

Ron Hopkins author of a “Field guide to the historical sites of the Kruger National Park” shares the history in the Kruger Park as opposed to the history of the Kruger Park. During a visit in 2012, Ron and his wife decided to visit each of the historical sites on the San Parks map. It soon became apparent that it was not possible to tell the full story behind each site,and so the idea for the book was born. We will share small sections from the book, which is available from the restcamp shops.

William Pretorius Grave

A trade route found by Joao Albasini (ruins seen near Phabeni Gate) from Lydenburg to the coast ensured independence from Britan. Sent to investigate this such route was Karel Trichardt apart of the mission was a young companion called William Pretorius. Leaving Lydenburg, they headed towards Delogoa Bay, taking the route past Pretoriuskop, down Voortrekker […]

Posted in History in Kruger Park | Leave a comment

Paul Kruger Statue

Paul Kruger Statue sits outside the Paul Kruger gate, commonly known as Kruger Gate.  But who was Paul Kruger? Why does he have his own statue? Paul Kruger – the father of conservation in South Africa.  Paul Kruger – the founder of the Kruger Natuonal Park Paul Kruger was born October 1825, growing up in […]

Posted in History in Kruger Park | Leave a comment

James Stevenson Hamilton

In 1888 James Stevenson Hamilton came to South Africa.   In 1902 he was appointed as head ranger for Sabie Game Reserve.  After a brief stay at Crocodile Bridge he moved up to Sabie where he remained for 44 years.   In May 1926 the National Parks bill was passed and Hamilton began the immense […]

Posted in History in Kruger Park | Leave a comment

History of Pafuri Picnic Site

Pafuri picnic site In 1939 Ranger Bill Lamont was instructed to build a tented camp for tourist somewhere along the Luvuvhu River. The site of Pafuri picnic site is the location he chose. A few poles from its construction can still be seen within the picnic site to this day. The camp closed in 1948 […]

Posted in History in Kruger Park | Leave a comment

Eileen and James Orpen – Kruger greatest contributors

Historical sites in Kruger Eileen Orpen is without a doubt the greatest benefactor of the Kruger National Park. A total of 24,530 hectares was donated between 1934-1935. She also built bird baths in 4 camps and funded the Orpen dam near Tshokwane. Eileen was married to James Orpen who worked on varies projects throughout Kruger. […]

Posted in History in Kruger Park | Leave a comment

Historical sites of Skukuza

Historical sites in Skukuza restcamp.   Campbell hut museum – this, the oldest tourist rondeval in Skukuza was built in 1926.  No longer used as accommodation, it has been converted into a museum and is easily recognisable by an old petrol pump from that period, which stands alongside it.  Inside the hut are framed posters […]

Posted in History in Kruger Park | 2 Responses